An achievable plan that considers our valuable natural resources and benefits current and future residents, not just the developers.
Voters of Philomath chose not to support measure 2-102 Chapel Drive/Applegate annexation (Lowther property)
What was the issue? Out-of-town developers seek our approval to annex and rezone 159 acres containing protected wetlands and agricultural lands, primarily to build 660 single-family homes. The construction (with its noise and dust) is proposed to last for 10 years.
Where is the parcel? It goes from Chapel Dr to Applegate St, and from 23rd to 30th Streets.
The developers’ proposal is non-binding. For example, they could petition to change the zoning to multi-family housing to increase their profits.
What did this mean to the residents of Philomath?
You will hear that Philomath has more than enough water, but...
* Philomath’s demand on available water resources is already at maximum levels.
* No reliable water source to serve a massive housing development has been identified.
* Even now, Philomath relies on water from Corvallis, which has the right to decrease our supply in case of drought, contamination, or other emergency.
* 660 new homes mean 1200 to 1300 more cars on Philomath Blvd and other roads.
* ODOT says it does NOT plan to expand Philomath Blvd in the foreseeable future.
* By law, the fees the developers pay cannot be used to expand the library or keep police, fire, medical, and earthquake response at safe levels. That would fall to taxpayers.
This is the same proposal Philomath rejected in 2005 and 2006 by wide margins.
A Community Impact Study - click to open pdf document
Letters to the Editor and Arguments against the Annexation
OP-ED by Jon Bendixon, Octobers 29, 2016 - external link
OP-ED by Jeff Lamb, October 5, 2016 - external link
OP-ED by Mark Weiss, September 28, 2016 - external linkOP-ED by Citizens of Philomath and Portland, Octobers 26, 2016 - external link
Additional links to pertinent information:
Benton County Voters Pamphlet - Arguments For and Against Measure 2-102 - click to open pdf document
Map of the Chapel Dr/Applegate Annexation - click to open pdf document
Eden Fodor's Twelve Big Myths About Growth - external link
The Costs of Growth: A Brief Overview - external link
Philomath's Contract with Corvallis Gives Us Subordinate Water Rights - click to open pdf document